Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Just Another Wedding

My friend, let's call her Smiley (she smiles all the time...through the good and the bad) had met her One and had a Debacle to celebrate the Mistake that she was about to make.  I, of course, was invited and went (2 hours late and left as soon as possible).  There was nothing wrong with the Debacle, it was just that this one was number 12 or so and I was a bit tired of them at this point.  Anyways, it was fun and very interesting to meet new folks and catch up with the old ones.

I was sat strategically at the Table O' Singles.  The Table O' Singles contained a lot of people that I knew from a while back, met then, and didn't realize were sitting there then.  One of those Singles was a guy that I knew for at least a decade before.  This guy had nothing going for him then and has nothing going for him now.  Let's put it this way, I don't want to drive him around on dates because his parole officer won't let him. On the other side of myself was another young fellow who seemed to be on the lookout that night. He stood many inches taller than I, I will assume 6' here. He had what seemed to be blue eyes, not pearly blue, but blue enough.  His hair stood about an inch above his head, light brown to be exact, and had what is referred to as the "Abe Lincoln Beard" that covered half his cheeky cheeks and cheeky chin.  His physique, also one of a tennis player, with a little less definition.  Some meat, but not SPAM meaty, meaty enough to fall of the bone and bear some marrow. His skin had the rugged cut of a man and a tone much lighter than what I am used to, although not light to where it was Casper-like, light to where I believed it could be considered just right for the good ol' white guy.

Ol' Blue Eyes also had a friend with him, male.  He was as tall as his host and much paler.  Not much to look at (for my tastebuds) but was very fun to talk to and make fun of Blue Eyes with.  I was content with my evening.  One thing leads to another and a group of us are talking (Parole Boy, Casper (pale friend), Blue Eyes, College Buddy (a chick I obviously went to college with), and the Sibling (College Buddy's sister)) and enjoying a drunken (except for me, wretched driving) conversation of how we met Smiley and why we were all mismatched on the Table of Doom, aka Table O' Singles.  As the night went on, Blue Eyes had taken a higher interest in me (yea, I know.  I'm wondering why, also) and we begin conversation about...um...well I forgot. I'm busy wondering why the hell I was in a Debacle for the umpteenth time anyways!  I really didn't care much about what he was saying.  Oh yes, I forgot, I was also busy thinking about how to get away from Friday.  Friday is another blog. But for now, we'll stick with Blue Eyes and his antics. 

He suddenly surprised me with "Would you like to dance" and I hesitantly agreed.  Now, I'm in the South Suburbs of Chicago.  Arab/Irish central.  White and Arab and Mexican and Black all live segregatedly as one in this area.  I'm kind of thinking in my head, "Great, some freaking camel jockey is going to walk in and see me with Blue Eyes and tell Nutso I'm pregnant" or something.  Digression:  The Debacle was held at a spacious venue with at least six other events in the same building that is open to the public.  If you are familiar with the area, you may have a tiny inclination about which "mardi gras" joint I am talking about.  Any who, we dance.  I'm slightly uncomfortable because I have Friday.  Now, Friday and I looked happy, but I was miserable.  Therefore, it was OK that I was dancing with Blue Eyes.  The end was coming for Friday as I knew it, and Blue Eyes knew he existed.  Therefore, Blue Eyes stopped pressing for my number and settled with a gentle 5 minute waltz to some oldies while Smiley and The One for her danced next to us thinking "Awwww, we made a match at our 'Debacle'." I thought to myself, "Back off, no you did not!"

Next thing you know, the song is over and our dance was done.  It felt nice to dance with Blue Eyes.  It was nice to be held by someone who found me intriguing, although I am sure he was sort of in a drunken fury at this point.  Although, I did have that somewhere else(minus the drunken fury), Friday's days were numbered...just like in the movies.  But, so was Blue Eyes' days.  I was then long gone afterward. I scatted out of the Debacle as fast as possible and found the closest watering hole I could find. 

And then, the truth came out.  It turns out the Sibling, College Buddy, Parole Boy, Casper, and Blue Eyes had a story to tell me.  It was what I found out at The Benefit that had me thinking otherwise, especially about Blue Eyes.

My mat is hanging by a thread on these cliffs I keep putting it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment